Learn these key phrases in any language to enhance your experience with locals and save money during your travels.
Learning new languages is a challenging but fun part of travel. It’s rarely possible to become fluent in the language of each country you visit. However, if you learn some key phrases you can enhance your experiences with locals and save money.
- Knowing some words and phrases in the local language allows you to have interesting interactions with locals. Most people will be forgiving of your errors and appreciative of your effort. Just a smile and saying hello in the local language can be a conversation starter.
- When bargaining at markets or buying train or bus tickets, knowing numbers and how to ask simple questions in the local language goes a long way. It will help convince sellers that you’re not just another walking wallet and will hopefully save you money by getting you the ‘local price’ instead of the’ tourist price’.
- You’ll feel more comfortable trying food at places without English menus, which will also save you money.
- You’ll gain confidence by learning a new skill which you can try out every day. You’ll be amazed at how quickly your language skills progress when you open your mouth and try. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes!
- The more words you learn in different languages the more you and your partner can speak to each other “in code” without other people understanding you. We like to combine multiple languages into one sentence for a confusing good time. Ni yao comer Pad Thai ma?
Which ten phrases are the most useful?
The answer to this may vary from place to place.
2) Thank you.
3) Where is the toilet?
These three are essentials in any language. However, each guide varies based on culture and common interactions you might experience.
We have created free phrase guides that you can download to your smart phone/Kindle/ipad/computer/whatever is convenient for you.
Click on a country below for key words and phrases to make your travel experience even better.
Traveling to Cambodia?
Sign up to receive our free guide for ten awesome places to go in the country!